Pages

Thursday 1 August 2013

Courgette Cake

My parents like to grow courgettes in the garden.
Then they like to go on holiday and leave me to look after them.
This year I didn't forget about them and then find some were way over a foot long.

I picked one at the appropriate size, I think. I'm not actually sure if this is a good size because I don't like courgettes all that much which is why I decided to make cake with it!

I'd never tried this recipe before, but I have eaten the cakes that my Mum's made with it and I think I did a pretty good job.

(This recipe is from somewhere on the internet but I've just typed out the printed copy we have)
Ingredients:
60g raisins
250g courgettes [2 or 3] weighed before grating 
(I've just properly read this bit. My one courgette was something like 340g before grating. Once I'd grated it and strained the excess water it was exactly 250g. Oh well, extra courgette!)
2 large eggs
125ml vegetable oil
150g caster sugar
225g self-raising flour
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda.
1/2 tsp baking powder

Oven 180c/Gas Mark 4
1) Grate courgettes and remove excess water with a sieve.
2) Cream eggs, oil and sugar together.
3) Add flour, bicard and baking powder.
4) Stir in courgette and raisins.
5) Bake for 30 minutes as a whole cake or cupcakes.

I made 12 muffins and put the rest of the mixture in a loaf tin.
They taste good guys, nothing like courgettes, and you can legitimately eat more of them because there's a vegetable in them.
Gotta get that 5 a day somehow.

No comments:

Post a Comment