Pages

Wednesday 22 September 2010

Sleepy Owl Hat

I was shocked the other day when my sister told me she really doesn't like hats with faces. Please tell me I'm not alone in thinking they are the darned cutest things ever!

In addition to my panda hat I now have a sleepy owl hat, and here's how I made it... 

I started with a Grandad cardigan, which was kindly donated to me by my Grandad as it had a hole in it.

I cut a section from the back of the cardigan, mine measured approximately 40x25cm to fit my head, and folded it in half and folded over the edges

The cardigan I used had suede pockets and strips down the front so I unpicked them and cut them into smaller strips. I tied these into two bundles for the fringey ears on the hat. These could also be made with felt or another kind of fabric.

Because I was sewing the hat inside out, I put the suede strips through the corners of the hat, with most of them on the inside. I then machine sewed the two sides, but had to hand sew through the suede as it is too thick for the sewing machine.

For the facial features I cut the eyes out of felt and the nose and eyelids from more of the suede. I glued these on with UHU glue and stitched around the edges to make sure they were definitely attached.

I then stitched around the eyes with white wool to create that signature owl look.

C'est fini

Now I'm ready for the impending winter.

2 comments:

  1. Umm, you might want to rethink your spelling of suede, at the moment it looks like you're using a root vegetable as decoration.

    ReplyDelete